When I wrote about cutting back on national news, and trying to get more serious about local news in SF, a few people asked that I share my sources of SF news. Here’s a first cut, in alphabetical order:
- Bay Nature – Bay-area nature-related news and events
- Burrito Justice – hard to summarize, but city history, neighborhood-related humor, and an obsession with the Sutro Tower
- CitiReport – city and state politics; unfortunately not full-feed
- Curbed SF – great mix of real estate, history, and other related topics; more city politics/less house-by-house coverage than SocketSite
- Fog City Journal – cranky, but very insider-y, city politics coverage
- LiveSOMA – coverage of my neighborhood, though sadly on life support
- SF Public Press – think of them as an on-paper NPR. I donate, and you should too!
- SFist – quirky-ish local news
- SocketSite – real estate news
- Spots Unknown – little bits of SF stories
- StreetsBlog SF – great coverage of transit and biking in the city; must-read if you’re a biker in the city
- Bay Citizen – had great non-profit coverage of the city; not clear what happens with that now that they’ve merged with CIR
- The Snitch – valuable mostly for its pointers to lots of other city news sources
- ThinkWalks – actual real-world walks in the city
- Whilst in SF – because sometimes you have to laugh
- SPUR Blog – urban development policy! what could be more fun!
I’m very open to more suggestions, particularly more “mainstream” suggestions. The traditional media frankly often pisses me off, but if I want to understand San Francisco, I should probably also take in some of the same media stream as most of my neighbors.