The temptation, of course, is just to have a logo per organization- gnu, gnome, moz, fedora, etc. But the core of the merit badge idea is that you’re indicating skills learned, not organizations. (Yes, I’m an old boy scout on top of all my other nerdiness.) So I tried to think along those lines, and here are some of the skills I’d like to decorate my bag/laptop with:
- GTD: a david allen head, natch.
- emacs: emacs logo?
- bugmaster: old gnome bugsquad logo? (mosquito with crosshairs)
- infolaw: scales, or something (yeah, I know… pretty weak.)
- perl: a very short obfuscated perl program
- peer production: (because open source just isn’t right for some reason) (but hell if I know what that logo would be; nerdmeritbadge uses github’s octocat but that seems… weak)
- lego: you know it!
- family tech support: nerdmeritbadges has this one, and it isn’t a bad concept, but their logo for it is terrible.
I bet you could do a passable job of them with this cafepress option and some decent gimpery, but if people have decent suggestions I’m all ears. :)