giant by brom. License:
The six month release cycle is not an all-controlling god, and bugs in one known, specific subsystem are not undebuggable without wide release (which was KDE’s most valid excuse). If it isn’t ready for wide use, it isn’t and shouldn’t be a GNOME .0. It isn’t ‘too late’ to decide that; you’re the QA team, dammit- it is your job to say no right up to the very last minute, and demand extra time to protect the users.
Distros follow our schedule because we promise high-quality .0s, so they should be thrilled we’ve admitted this won’t be high-quality, and they should either happily take a pass, or if they have a serious problem with it, they should provide resources to make it high-quality on time. (If they have a problem with it, their users should probably question doubt their commitment to shipping quality software.)
(cc’d to bugsquad shortly for real discussion.)
[on second thought: closing comments here because discussion on a topic of this sort should be on d-d-l or bugsquad, not on a blog.]